Interior window shutters add style and versatility to any home. However, they are inclined to gather dust and can end up looking grubby. You can keep your interior window shutters looking good if you give them a regular clean. Here are some helpful tips on how to do it.
What you'll need
- vacuum cleaner and soft brush hose attachment
- clean dusters
- anti-static wood or furniture polish (a spray version)
- an old toothbrush
- washing-up liquid
- warm water
- clean cloths
How to do it
The most popular materials for interior window shutters are timber and vinyl, and there are slightly different cleaning methods for both.
Cleaning timber window shutters
- Start by vacuuming your timber window shutters with the soft brush hose attachment on your vacuum cleaner. This process will get rid of pet hair, loose debris, and dust. First of all, run the vacuum over the shutters while the vents are closed, and then repeat the process with the vents open. Remember to vacuum along the top of the shutters and down the sides too.
- Next, take a clean duster and spray it lightly with anti-static wood or furniture polish. Wipe over the shutters to give them a lovely shine and remove any clinging dust.
- Use an old toothbrush spritzed with polish to get rid of any dust trapped in the corners of the shutter vents and around the hinges.
Cleaning vinyl window shutters
- Vacuum your shutters as described in step #1 above.
- Make up a weak solution of warm water and washing-up liquid. Dip a clean cloth in the solution, and give the shutters a wipe over to get rid of any clinging dust or fly-spots.
- An old toothbrush dipped in the cleaning solution should now be used to remove dirt from hard-to-reach crevices and around the shutter hinges.
- Now, take a clean cloth dipped in clean water and wipe over the shutters to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the shutters using a clean cloth or towel. It's important that you don't allow the shutters to dry naturally, as water spots can leave unsightly marks on the surface.
You can keep your interior window shutters looking tidy and fresh by giving them a regular clean using the methods outlined above. Never use water on wooden shutters, as this can cause the wood to warp, and avoid using household cleaning products containing bleach on your shutters. This can cause damage and staining to both wood and vinyl.